Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christine de Pisan

I encountered this poem the other day while I was reading a very wonderful book and I was really touched by it. It was wonderfully written by a woman named Christine de Pisan who lived in the 1360s. What makes her so fascinating is the idea that this woman, married at 15 and widowed at 24, did whatever she had to support her 3 kids and aging mother. During the 14th century, women poets and writers were practically unheard of but this woman was brave enough to make her living through her pen. I admire her for her courage and her dedication to motherhood. I am sure mothers like me will appreciate and admire this poem she has written for her son:

I have no great fortune, my son,
To make you rich. In place of one
Here are some lessons I have learned-
the finest things I've ever earned.

Before the world has borne you far,
Try to know people as they are.
Knowing that will help you take
The path that keeps you from mistake.

Pity anyone who is poor
And stands in rags outside your door
Help them when you hear them cry!
Remember that you, too, will die.

Love those who have love for you
And keep your enemy in view:
Of allies none can have too many,
Small enemies there are not any.

Never lose what the good Lord gave
To this, our world too much enslaved:
The foolish rush to end their lives.
Only the steadfast soul survives.