Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Age and Vanity

I brought Nikki to the doctor's yesterday to have his sores checked. I wanted to know the diagnosis because I wanted to know what to do and how to treat Nikki's skin infection. Anyway, when Nikki was being checked by the doctor, I explained what happened and which sore came first. After giving the medical history, the doctor said that it most probably is impetigo and Nikki will have to take medicine (antibiotics) for it. I said, okay. And the doctor wanted to find out of I was the mom and I said "yes" and he said "talaga?!" (really?!) and followed that with "ilang taon na kayo?" (how old are you?) and I said I was 31. He looked thoughtful after that and I'm not sure how young he thought I was or if he thought I was an aunt looking after the boys or something. But I didn't ask anymore.

I'm not a vain person. When I hit my knees on the edge of the table and I get a bruise there or if I pick my face to remove a blackhead and it turns into a dark spot, I don't obsess about it. I'm just not like that. When I see a pimple on my face, I grumble about it but I don't fear going out of the house or being self-conscious about it. Also, I do not have a model body. Far from it, actually. I don't have skinny legs or flawless complexion. What I do try to have though is confidence and good fashion sense. And I don't know if that shows but it DOES feel nice to get appreciative looks at my age. It's nice to hear compliments from strangers (of course, not the lewd ones) and it's nice to know that I have not become losyang (dowdy) as many married women fear they would be when they become domesticated. So yeah, it was nice when the doctor reacted that way yesterday. It was nice to know that I don't look way beyond my age despite not having a regular beauty regimen. Well, except for that facial cream I was using recently. Maybe it really does work (I knew it!). I feel so fortunate for finding the right facial cream for me. Really. It's been years since I last used facial cream and the last one, well, let's just say I only used it for less than a week because it didn't suit me at all. Anyway, I wonder if my new disposition in life, my wonderful facial cream and my stay-at-home status are the reasons for my "youthful" glow. =D