Friday, September 28, 2007

Revisited...


I so miss autumn in Japan. It was wonderful having experienced it for the first time with my family. I could not have asked for a better or nicer introduction to the seasons. So I am revisiting my old post about that experience...

MY FIRST AUTUMN EXPERIENCE

"When was the last time you experienced something for the first time?" I suddenly remembered this line from the Discovery Channel. It's amazing how things like these creep into your mind unexpectedly.

This is my first time to experience autumn. Yes, my first time to experience the season and my first time to be in Japan. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Growing up, I always read about autumn in books, saw it in pictures and paintings and watched it in movies. But little did I know that experiencing it first-hand would be a different thing altogether.

I can’t say exactly when I noticed it was autumn, but the leaves on some of the trees here gave me the clue. Not only are they turning different shades of yellow, orange, red and brown but they have been falling quite noticeably. Momiji-gari, the viewing of autumn leaves (koyo) is a popular thing in Japan and parks and gardens are usually visited by photographers, budding and professional artists as well as nature lovers at this time of the year. Festivals of harvest and thanksgiving abound and I sure enjoyed being a part of those festivities. Reminds me so much of our fiestas back home: entertaining (performances of young and old), filling (yummy, yummy food!) and fun (who would want to miss out on those childhood games?). Another thing I noticed recently was that my light jacket no longer keeps me warm during cloudy days. Yup, definite chill in the air these days. Might need to bundle up very very soon. I’m really a summer person so I feel cold quite easily. Also, unlike in the Philippines where sunrise and sunset are more consistent, lately, 4:30pm seems like 6pm when the sun sets and casts shadows in the darkening sky and surroundings. It all seems strange for a first-timer like me, but I am sure everyone around here doesn’t give a heck that it’s pretty dark by 530pm and stars start to come out. So, pardon my elation about such trivialities. What may seem insignificant to some, may be consequential to me.

I am really looking forward to experiencing autumn to the hilt. If it means getting chilled to the bone or watching the trees everyday for a change in color, then I won’t mind doing it. After all, this may be my first and last autumn experience so I might as well take full advantage of my stay here.