Saturday, August 18, 2007

Don't Want To Be Late

I'm supposed to be at a baby shower this afternoon. At 4pm to be exact because that's what it said on the invite. It's already 3:17 and no one is getting ready yet whereas I am already fully dressed except for my flipflops. My bag is ready and so is the bag for the boys. Even their stroller is already propped near the door so I won't forget it later. I would have already left and commuted if it hadn't been raining because SM Sucat (where the shower is going to be held) is just 8 minutes away but I really don't want the boys to get wet in the rain or to get sick just because of this quirk of mine.

I just hate to be late. It doesn't matter what event it's going to be: a movie, a wedding, a birthday party, an interview, meeting up with friends, a concert... I just hate to be late. When you say, "Be there at 4pm" it's a guarantee I'll be there by 3:45 or so. If it's an interview, I'd be there 30 minutes early. If it's a birthday party or a similar occasion, I'll be there at the exact time. That's just who I am. If an event starts at let's say, 1:30 and I'm still on the road at 1pm, I get all nervous and jittery. I just can't stand being late. When I plan for an event, everything has to be accounted for: picking the clothes, shower, putting on make-up (very minimal which is very good time-wise), fixing my bag, travel time, and time unaccounted for (like an emergency trip to the washroom or going back for forgotten keys). Of course, when it comes to other events like floods and flat tires, that is pretty understandable.

I suppose it's a reflection of my personality. I really hate being the center of attention and being late sometimes puts you in that spot. It's like the spotlight is on you and you can imagine everyone thinking, "Oooohhh... she's late..." I just hate that.

Anyway, it's 3:30 now and still I can't see anyone coming down the stairs and getting ready. Sigh. We definitely will be late for this shower...