Saturday, August 18, 2007

Baywalk

I was not very pleased when I read in the papers that the new mayor of Manila ordered the removal of establishments along Baywalk. I think that is taking a step backwards. I found Baywalk to be such a pleasant place. When I had to "get away" for a while Baywalk was just a ride away. I was never scared being on my own in the crowd when I know that police officers patrolled the area regularly. I loved the sights, the colors, the lights, the blend of different kinds of people. I loved the quaint coffee shops, the strolling lovers, the laughing families, the morose individuals, the pensive, the lonely, the happy, the brooding. Such a mixture of people in a single place. I so miss it and now that there is no more Baywalk, it saddens me to no end. I do hope someone brings it back...