Friday, September 21, 2007

Belated Happy Birthday

Yesterday was the birthday of one of my friends. But I did not greet her. It's not because I don't like her. It's because we had a falling out years ago. It's actually really sad because there was no reason whatsoever for us to have become like this. I mean, our friendship started out so beautifully and lasted a good 6 years. After she got married, that was when it went downhill. I can't even figure out what exactly went wrong but all of a sudden, she was not calling me anymore, was not replying to my messages. It was as if she just didn't want to have anything to do with me. Eventually, I stopped trying to communicate with her (why should I keep on trying? It's like talking to a wall for goodness' sake!) and we drifted apart even more. It was only a few months ago that we started talking again but alas, the friendship was just not the same. The closeness is gone, the old girl talk and gossip, the special bond. It's no longer there. I could try to be close to her again but why should I? She turned her back on our friendship. I spent years wondering and feeling guilty and now that I am whole again, I see, it was not my fault. It just fell apart. WE fell apart. I didn't want it to be like this but she allowed it to happen. I can only do so much. Friendship after all, is like a marriage. It always takes two to tango. And she failed.



It's so sad because I feel like the friendship was such a waste. We could have become old old friends. We could have exchanged stories, shared memories, become each others' confidants. But it was not meant to be. I will always mourn the loss of one beautiful friendship but I also look forward to creating more wonderful ones with the people who truly and honestly want to be my friend.